Piratefish 4.0 - Coming soon!

Forgive me reader, for I have sinned. It's been >2 months since my last blog entry.

At this time, the next version of the Piratefish document has reached chapter 18. So far, the document has grown and changed quite a bit from it's original incarnation - I'm also going to be working hard on consistent formatting throughout the book - there have been slip-ups in the original that have been more than just a little annoying when I find them.

Some of the newer, nicer things I'm taking advantage of in this edition are the building of the system on a VMware ESXi server, and better screen shots using Microsoft OneNote. Apparently OneNote has one of the best screen-shot tools built into it - and once it's icon is riding in the tray, getting a custom shot and storing it in a clipbook, is as easy as Command+s.

In the meanwhile, my last 6 months of consulting for Cricket Communications has turned into a full-time position as a network security engineer for them - quite nice to work in an enterprise with both budget and bandwidth. Free phones are nice too.

Anyway, time permitting, the new version of the Piratefish is coming together. I started the re-write just as Ubuntu 9.04 had come out, and I completed the first 5 chapters - but then life caused delays and now Ubuntu 9.10 has come out - and I've had to update those first 5 chapters and then start moving the rest over. Fortunately, many steps haven't changed much - though, I find myself changing old chapters far too often than I should for the reasons of speed and taste.

As a writer I've realized that re-visiting old work is a bad idea - what I was happy with a couple of years ago doesn't always cut it today - fortunately as this is in it's third re-write, and I've been cutting things down where I can. Hopefully those of you who own the Piratefish will appreciate seeing this updated to work better with Ubuntu 9.10, and as always, if any of my reads want the latest version (even in it's mostly complete form), I'll gladly provide it.

I also went and upgraded my car recently - it never was the same after $14k in repairs, so this time I decided to be a little green and get something with a smaller footprint. I now drive a Nissan Cube and I'm finding it to be quite a pleasant switch from my 2008 Altima.

Expect to see the new Piratefish out before Christmas folks - I plan to have it done very soon!

Comments

Popular Posts