Bombay Bowl "Fresh Indian Grill"

On the non-tech front, now working in South Denver, I had the misfortune today of eating at Bombay Bowl Fresh Indian Grill.

I had ordered a chicken saag bowl with vegetables and rice with some flatbread and tamarind chutney on the side. With a medium drink the total was $10, and I'll never eat there again.

The chicken was no different than what I get from Chipolte (perhaps they're connected) but with less flavor, and the rice was nothing special - a cheap jasmine variety with the flavor cooked and spiced out, and the vegetables were standard fare - probably Birdseye frozen. The saag, which is supposed to be a creamy, garlicy, spinach dish, was reminiscent of an over-processed baby food with some garlic powder added - and no salt. The tarmarind sauce (it was not a chutney) was also nearly flavorless as well, and lacked the gritty appearance and flavor of real tamarind chutney.

I strongly recommend that folks steer clear of Bombay Bowl - their Indian themed food just doesn't deliver.

---

On the technical front, I've just finally converted my most powerful system from Vista to Ubuntu 9.04, and am going to start working more on that base from here on out. Microsoft land will be relegated to being a VM in my world now - getting the wife and kids to switch will be the real challenge in my future.

The next update to the Piratefish is on the radar now - Ubuntu 9.04 definitely adds some new stuff to the arena, so an update is warranted, and I'm wanting to explore new reporting and visualization options as well. One of the new packages included in the new Ubuntu includes a complete mail server as a single package installation - combining Postfix with Dovecot, and if they handle the certificates well, some good could come out if it.

TTFN - The Piratefish is now in it's 4th year and still going strong!

Comments

Unknown said…
John,

My name is Amar and I am an employee of Bombay Bow. I wanted to start by apologizing for your experience at Bombay Bowl. Saag is supposed to be garlicy (but not overly) and creamy. I will look into the quality issue to see why it was different yesterday. Rice is not cheap Jasmine rice; we are using long grain basmati rice which is $1.20 per pound compare to Jasmine which is $.50 per pound cooked with various spices. Vegetables are all fresh cut everyday and sautéed every 15-20 minutes. Last but not the least; Tamarind chutney, that’s what it is called in India and not sauce, we use real tamarind pulp to make the chutney and we have purposely kept it to a thinner consistency after multiple focus studies feedback where majority of the people who participated preferred thinner than gritty appearance.

I would request that you give us another chance and try another meal on us next time. Let me know when you want to come and I will make sure to comp your meal. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any question.

Amar

Popular Posts