MailWatch for Piratefish - it's in Beta now...

So, for those of you who want to live dangerously, I've added a new chapter on setting up MailWatch for the Piratefish.  This needs to go through some serious testing, but thus far it looks good.  From the sound of things, I've managed to take this further than most of my users - but man, after today my brain is toasted.  I need to kill some zombies now!  The integration of MailWatch into Ubuntu is definitely not an easy task!  This new chapter walks folks through setting up MySQL and PHP, and there's a lot of integration tweaks too!  The current write-ups all focus on using PHP4, however I've documented the process to get it burning on PHP5, and it appears to be working great!

MailWatch has some nice visibility into the logs from the look of things, and can draw up some nice graphs and provides the Quarantine management features that many of you have been asking about.  As it stands, I need to re-build my SMTP lab, and re-configure my Piratefish to use it - and then expose things to the outside with my test domain to see what comes in.  I figure, with some serious abuse, I can get MailWatch to really shine and get some nice pretty pictures for the Piratefish website!

MailWatch also has features that integrate the Bayesian filtering controls and blacklist controls into the SQL database - I've not gotten that part written yet - that'll be another weekend soon I'm sure.  First I want the lab operational so I can formally test what's been done so far!

I also added a new section in the appendix providing a walk through to get VMware Tools installed if you're running the Piratefish on a VMware server.

If you're a current owner of the Piratefish and would like a copy of version 4.3beta, please drop me an email!  Testing in a live environment should be possible, and this configuration on minimally hooks into the MailScanner conf file (which can be backed up before starting!) - the only requirements are that your Piratefish system has enough extra disk space and RAM to handle running MySQL in addition to it's regular duties, and that you are using a good firewall that blocks MySQL and Port 80 on your Piratefish from the outside world.

Cheers!

Comments

Popular Posts